* DC Generators can regulate their output power allowing the use of smaller displacement engines that operate at close to the engine's peak effi¬ciency.
* AC Generators cannot regulate their output power- thus to prevent power interruption by
the circuit breaker a larger and less fuel efficient engine and alternator is selected. Larger AC generators are also specified in smaller load ap¬plications to provide stable voltage and frequency control.
* Permanent Magnet DC Alternators (synchro¬nous) are more efficient than asynchronous AC Alternators in the conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy.
* AC Generators lose efficiency converting from AC to DC through the rectifier-battery charger.
* DC Generators are variable speed and operate near the engine's most fuel efficient points.
* DC Generators are engineered to provided a significantly longer operational life.